FHA loans are an attractive option, especially for first-time homeowners because it is insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA). Primarily, the federal government insures loans for FHA-approved lenders in order to reduce their risk of loss if a borrower defaults on their mortgage payments. Typically the borrower can be approved with 3.5% Down vs 20% that is required on other loan programs. This is a great option for home buyers in Orange County, including Laguna Hills, Newport Beach and Irvine.
The FHA’s mission driven organization encourages home ownership and provides affordable housing opportunities with low down payment and flexible credit requirements.
Since 1934, the FHA has insured millions of home mortgages with a market share of 30% in 2010 vs 3% in 2007. In 2009, FHA programs insured nearly 2 million loans, which included 750,000 first-time home buyers.
According To Wikipedia:
The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) was created out of the National Housing Act of 1934, and was established to increase home construction, reduce unemployment and insure government loan programs.
FHA loans have historically allowed lower income Americans to borrow money for the purchase of a home that they would not otherwise be able to afford. The program originated during the Great Depression of the 1930s, when the rates of foreclosures and defaults rose sharply, and the program was intended to provide lenders with sufficient insurance.
Some FHA programs were subsidized by the government, but the goal was to make it self-supporting, based on insurance premiums paid by borrowers.
While most people believe that the FHA lends money directly to borrowers, it actually just insures a certain type of loan that is financed by traditional banks and mortgage lenders.
Four of the most visible single family housing programs that FHA offers are, Section 203(b), Section 234(c), Section 203(k) and Home Equity Conversion Mortgages (HECM) – Reverse Mortgages.
FHA Loan Type Highlights:
- largest of FHA’s single family programs
- 1-4 unit properties are eligible
- flexible credit requirements
- 3.5% down payment allowed
- down payment may be a gift from specific sources
- provides mortgage insurance for individual condominium units
- credit, down payment and limits of 203(b) apply
- in 2010, condominium complexes must be approved through HRAP/DELRAP to be eligible for FHA insurance
- primary program for property rehabilitation
- encourages community and neighborhood revitalization
- only 1 mortgage loan is used for both the acquisition and the renovation
- 1-4 unit properties including condominiums are eligible; check with your lender for manufactured housing eligibility
- required improvements include cost effective energy conservation standards and smoke detectors
- consultancy may be required
Although we are located in Laguna Hills, we work with clients around all of Orange County and California, including in Newport Beach, Irvine, Aliso Viejo, Dana Point, Laguna Niguel, San Clemente, Mission Viejo and as far as Oceanside and San Diego.